Bass fishing has taken the world by storm, whether you’re just starting out and want to try your hand at catching this type of game or have been doing it for years and simply want to buy a better rod for your goals. Whatever your reason may be for hunting bass, it’s important to get the best bass fishing rod for your needs. The right rod will make it easier to catch bass and more importantly give you more comfort and style while doing so. We have compiled a list of the top 12 best bass fishing rods of 2021. You’re sure to find exactly what you’re looking for in this compilation.
12 Best Bass Fishing Rods Reviewed
1. UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod – Best Casting Rods for Bass Under $50
If you want the best bang for your buck when it comes to a bass fishing rod, then you’ll want to consider the UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod. This rod is not only modern and sporty, but is fully functional and designed to last for many years to come- even though it does come in at less than $50 per rod.
Constructed with fiberglass and graphite, this bass fishing rod is the ultimate combination of indestructible durability with a lightweight feel that’s easy to use. Finished off with an EVA grip for comfort and clear tip for utmost responsiveness and strength, you’re bound to have a thrilling fishing experience that’s easy enough for beginners but modern and sturdy enough for the novice fisherman.
Recommended? The UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod is highly recommended if you’re looking for a cheaper casting rod that will get the job done. It is virtually indestructible and allows for ease of use thanks to its durable lightweight construction that ensures utmost comfort and ability for the fisher.
- Durable and lightweight.
- Made of graphite and fiberglass. Virtually indestructible.
- Clear tip for responsiveness and strength.
- Works with all types of line.
- EVA grip for comfort.
- Modern and sleek appearance.
- Rod can be a little stiff during use.
2. Enigma Fishing IPPON Pro Tournament Series – Best Rod for Longer Casting and Balance
If you’re in need of bass baitcasting rods that are not only visually appealing but provide longer casts and utmost balance, you’ll find what you’re looking for in the Enigma Fishing IPPON Pro Tournament Series. These uniquely designed rods were brought to you by some of the best anglers in the game, so you know you’re buying a product that’s built for the best.
With the Enigma Fishing IPPON Pro Tournament Series, you have ten different model options to fulfill all of your bass fishing pole needs. Each is designed using Japanese toray graphite with 50 ton x-tape for reinforcement, so durability and a long life span is no concern. And while these materials offer a lightweight feel, you can feel comfortable catching larger bass as it is a tough and strong construction that can handle the larger-than-life game.
Aside from the durability, the frame of this model is complete with titanium and zirconium rings. The two combine to create a longer length for casting as well are precision and balance for the fisher as he’s guiding his line to the sea. Handles are made to be double stitched which means no worry of fraying or damage in the future, leaving you with a comfortable grip that can last a lifetime.
Recommended? The Enigma Fishing IPPON Pro Tournament Series is recommended for the fisher that requires a sturdy design that can handle larger game that may be further below the surface.
- Lightweight and sensitive.
- Durable materials.
- Longer casting ability.
- Offers precision and balance.
- Double stitched handle for comfort.
- Only used for baitcasting, no spinning reels.
3. KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series – Ultimate Sensitivity and Precision
When it comes to bass fishing rods, you want to find the rod that’s right for you. And while most companies will only offer a selected way of fishing- casting or spinning- the KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series comes with a wide variety of rods to choose from, varying in length and action so you can choose spinning rods for bass or regular casting options with ease.
The KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series prides itself on creating pieces of equipment that take the guesswork and confusion out of fishing. They take time and effort in creating their rods, knowing what’s important to their customers and putting their needs first.
With their selection of materials and unique crafting, every rod in this series has the action, length, sensitivity, and guide combinations that are necessary for effortless fishing of bass. It offers a comfortable grip and Fuji reel seats and guides that seat firmly together to allow for a seamless, smooth lines that slide from the reel to the fish with ease.
Recommended? Whether you’re in need of a spinning reel or casting reel, this series has you covered. They are touted as the ‘ultimate bass fishing rod’, offering security, precision, sensitivity, and comfort every time.
- Elite carbon blanks provide utmost sensitivity and a lightweight, durable feel.
- Fuji reel seats for seamless lines from reel to fish.
- Variety of models for all fishing needs.
4. UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod – Cost Effective Spinning Rod Option
Someone who prefers spinning rods for bass fishing and wants to find the best bass fishing rod for the money should look into the UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod. UglyStik is known for creating durable, sturdy, and modern designs, and this spinning rod is no different.
The goal of the UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod is to ensure that fishing for lighter game is a cinch. It’s a one piece rod, making the worry of insert pop outs a thing of the past. The addition of a clear tip provides a little more strength and sensitivity, and is ideal for lighter lures and ease of operation overall.
Keep in mind that the UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod should only be used for lighter lures and fish. Bigger game may end up damaging the spinning rod as it is just a single steel guide.
Recommended? This rod is ideal for those who enjoy the spinning rod and reel method when catching game. However, it’s a lightweight and single steel guide that shouldn’t be used with larger game.
- Cost effective option.
- Clear tip for strength and sensitivity.
- 2 Piece rod construction.
- Single steel guide that won’t cause unnecessary pop ups.
- Can only handle lightweight lure and game.
- May break easily.
- Cheap stainless steel can break or be weathered by certain lines.
5. KastKing Royale Legend Fishing Rods – Ultimate Option for all Fishing Styles
Whether you’re someone who prefers 1 piece or 2 piece rods, or prefers one method of bass fishing to the other, then you will probably love the KastKing Royale Legend Fishing Rods. They have a wide selection of lengths and styles to choose from, so if you’re in need of flipping rods for bass or want a 2 piece rod that can handle like a 1 piece, you’re in luck.
To put it simply, these rods can do it all. There’s options available for every preference when it comes to length, fishing style, and rod sizes, and each bass fishing rod is created with the same goal in mind: to create a rod that’s easy and comfortable to use, with all the bells and whistles you could ever want in a rod.
Completed with Toray 24 ton carbon Matrix, the blanks are given some excessive power and sensitivity that are unmatched by competitors. Fuji line guides ensure that you can have ultimate casting distance and dissipate heat more easily. To put it simply, the KastKing Royale Legend Fishing Rod is designed to create the best fishing experience possible.
Recommended? KastKing Royale Legend Fishing Rods are highly recommended due to the fact that they are made with high quality materials and have plenty of extras and special features that take fishing to the next level, plus there’s a wide selection of rod styles to choose from to accommodate fishing preferences, rod sizes, and more.
- Wide selection for every type of fisher.
- Uses high strength carbon that allows for high levels of sensitivity and strength for larger game.
- Fuji line guides for longer casting ability and precision, reducing heat.
- Heavier than other models.
- May break due to lower quality materials.
6. Entsport E Series – Unmatched Versatility with Interchangeable Design
Have you ever went out fishing for the day, only to realize you were switching between two different rods for different game? We say that’s crazy! If you had chosen the Entsport E Series, you wouldn’t of had this problem thanks to the inclusion of two different tips to suit your needs.
It’s true! The Entsport E Series comes with two different tip sizes to be compatible with your game. One is medium weight while the other is heavy, so you can all size fish with ease. Made of 24 ton carbon fiber, this rod reaches the highest levels of strength so you can get your hands on larger game without worrying about your rod breaking in half.
Recommended? We recommend the Entsport E Series because it’s versatile and basically is ‘2 rods in 1’ thanks to the addition of multiple tips. It’s the best bass fishing rod for the money if you need something incredibly sturdy and reliable, a rod that can handle the largest game with ease.
- Includes 2 different types of tips for fishing different sized game.
- 24 ton carbon fiber is sturdy yet lightweight.
- Corrosion resistant reel hood.
- Friction-free line flow.
- Risk of breaking while casting.
7. Okuma Scott Martin Tournament Concept Rods – Tournament Quality Rod
If you find out a fishing rod is specifically designed for competitions and created by an actual successful tournament fisher, then it better be good; and the Okuma Scott Martin Tournament Concept Rods are exactly that.
This high quality tournament rod was designed with Scott Martin himself, who ensured his rods would be of the best materials and strength to keep up with the intense bass fishing tournaments or a friendly competition with your pals. It’s made with a whopping 30 ton carbon for a lightweight feel that is unmatched, the completely customized C-40x carbon reel offers impeccable casting and spinning. Works best with braided lines!
Recommended? This product is highly recommended due to the fact that it was precisely crafted by one of the best to ensure it has what it takes to get the job done and last a lifetime.
- 30 ton carbon for utmost sensitivity and a lightweight feel.
- Ultra sensitive blanks.
- C-40x carbon reel.
- Handles casting and spinning.
8. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod – Great Beginner Baitcasting Rod
What can we say about this rod? It’s a versatile option when it comes to bass baitcasting rods, and can be used by beginners with ease. There’s nothing overly fancy about this particular fishing rod, but its simplicity is something that many will find enjoyable AND reliable.
This is a two piece baitcasting rod that is virtually unbreakable thanks to the graphite and fiberglass combination. It has a lightweight feel that’s great for younger fishers or amateur fishermen just getting their start, and the unique tips ensure sensitivity. Uses all types of line, so getting crafty with your fishing is a cinch.
Recommended? If you’re in need of a basic baitcasting rod, this is a wonderful option. It’s lightweight, durable, and gets the job done every time. Not to mention it’s also cost-effective too!
- Lightweight and durable material.
- Basic fishing rod for beginners or younger fishers.
- Tip designed for sensitivity.
- Stainless steel guide includes zirconium inserts to reduce pop outs and slippage.
- Poor casting distance.
- May be more flimsy than some prefer.
9. Cadence CR7B Baitcasting Rods – Best Power Loaded Lightweight Rods
Every Cadence CR7B rod is designed as a single-piece rod made from 40-ton graphite weighted and balanced for improved power, strength and durability. The graphite core transfers movement for an ultra-sensitive rod. This rod features an ergonomic reel seat and handles made of a combination of EVA and cork that is both comfortable and strong to battle even the toughest catch.
The stainless steel guides come with SiC inserts that can be removed if necessary but offer protection for your line and reduces friction and drag. You can also use any type of line without worrying about damage from the guides during use. The CR7B rods are perfect all-around rods great for all types of fishing whether saltwater or freshwater. The lightweight design makes it super portable and a great option for kayak or surf fishing.
The CR7B Baitcasting rods are available in lengths ranging from 6 feet 10 inches to a generous 7 feet 6 inches. The smaller lengths generally offer a medium to medium-heavy power range with a moderate to fast action while the longer lengths can reach heavy power levels and fast or even extra fast action in an amazing single-piece design.
As an added bonus, each Cadence CR7B rod comes with a 1-year warranty
- 40-ton carbon graphite construction
- Super lightweight rod with stainless steel line guides offers improved sensitivity and precision baitcasting for even less experienced anglers
- Fuji reel seat for secure and easy reel mounting
- Cork and EVA ergonomic hand design for increased comfort, even when fighting a larger fish
- Improved guide design allows for all line types, included braided lines without worry of snagging or increased drag.
- Dual composition handle may be less sensitive than other rods
- May be too much rod for novice anglers and too larger for younger fishers
10. Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting Fishing Rod – Good Overall Rod
Abu Garcia prides itself on always manufacturing top notch fishing rods, and the Vengeance Casting Fishing Rod holds true to their company’s motives. Now, this is a more simplistic and basic design, but it’s handy, easy to use, and comfortable nonetheless.
The biggest perk to using the Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting Fishing Rod is the fact that it can go hand in hand with plenty of different reels, so switching between smaller and larger game is easy. It’s also made with 24 ton graphite so you know it is strong and lightweight.
Recommended? This is the best bass fishing rod for someone who wants something that is simple in design but can take on the challenge of working with larger game if necessary.
- 24 ton graphite construction is easy to use and provides strength.
- Stainless steel guides.
- EVA handles for comfort.
- Different size options available.
- May break easily due to cheaper materials.
11. Akataka Mega Wave Bass Fishing Rod – Best Collapsible Bass Fishing Rod Under $50
Collapsible Fishing rods are either embraced or discouraged, this rod from Akataka Mega Wave may make a believer out of even the most diehard 1-piece rod fans. First, you have a range of lengths available depending on your choice of casting or spinning rod. Casting rods are available in both 7’1” and 7’6” sizes, both medium-heavy power in either black or white. Spinning rods are available in either 7’1” or 7’4” lengths, medium power in either green or white.
Each rod is made from 24-ton pure carbon, making some of the most durable 2-piece rods available while remaining super lightweight and sensitive. These rods routinely perform like a regular 1-piece rod. The Mega Wave handle features a combination of durable EVA and absorbent and comfortable rubberized cork, making the handle able to absorb and disperse both water and perspiration for added grip.
Each rod feature guides made of stainless steel with ceramic inserts. The ceramic allows all types of lines to glide along with the guides without any worry of increased friction or weakening from friction heat. Ceramic easily absorbs and displaces heat quickly. That means that even if you have a runner you will not have to worry about the insert heating up and causing damage to your fishing line.
The rod is a perfect match for most 3000/4000 reels and 3/8 -1/2 ounce lures. The compact and lightweight design means you can easily transport this reel in any car trunk or even in a backpack, allowing you to take your next fishing adventure farther than ever before. And if that wasn’t enough, all Akataka Mega Wave Rods included a full one-year worry-free warranty.
- Compact and Affordable collapsible 2-piece fishing rod
- Rod made from 24-ton PURE carbon
- Ultra-lightweight and sensitive
- Combination EVA and cork handle and reel seat for comfort, durability, and control.
- Fits in the trunk of any car
- Includes 1-year warranty
- Hook holder is in direct line with the guides, causing the line to tangle easily. Requires holding the line to side during casting instead of directly in front of the rod.
- Stiffer rod than may be expected by most users
The first thing to notice about the Fiblink is its extremely reasonable price. That is why it received our pick for the best budget travel fishing rod. Made out of a durable carbon fiber, the Fiblink has the enhanced sensitivity of a carbon fiber rod and has tremendous strength.
Along with its impressive durability, the Fiblink is very light at only half a pound (6.4 oz). The 4 piece construction makes it easy to carry around and unlike many travel fishing rods, it is very easy to assemble/disassemble. It can easily fit in your backpack, carrying bag, suitcase, or car trunk so you can take it anywhere.
The handle is crafted out of a high-density cork foam that absorbs shock and prevents slippage when wet, so you can be sure to have a solid grip in all weather conditions. The guides are made out stainless steel that is treated to prevent rust and corrosion so you do not have to worry about the line becoming snagged. Even better, the Fiblink comes with a 1-year warranty at purchase that covers damage from manufacturer errors.
The only drawback is that the separate pieces can become misaligned after heavy use, but this is easily fixed by just rotating the top half of the rod periodically to realign the guides. The rod tip guide is also somewhat weak and may pop off after too much usage. Otherwise, the Fiblink is a great affordable choice for a travel casting rod that will not let you down out on the lake.
- 4 piece construction easy to assemble/disassemble
- Very compact and portable
- Guides can become misaligned
- Rod tip has a tendency to fall off
Bass fishing rod selection guide
When you are new to the bass fishing world or simply want to switch it up, you need to find the best bass fishing rod that is right for you. There are a few key elements to consider when choosing the right bass fishing rod:
- What kind of rod: casting or spinning? You have seen a lot of rods on this list that have claimed to be casting or spinning. To put it simply, a casting rod is going to be your best choice 90% of the time. These rods have the potential to use heavier lures, therefore you are able to pull in bigger fish; and if you’re bass fishing, that’s exactly what you are after, isn’t it? However, that’s not to say that spinning rods are no good. In fact, many people prefer them, especially when they’re new and just trying their hand at fishing. Spinning rods are ideal for smaller bass or fish in general and are ideal for newcomers to the fishing world.
- What kind of material? Bass casting rods and spinning rods can be built with a variety of materials, but the most likely material you will find is graphite. Graphite is a highly durable material that is guaranteed to last quite awhile, but aside from its durability it also gives the fisher a lightweight feel which is great for long days on the water. It also allows the fisherman to feel tugs and tweeds by the fish with ease.
On the other hand, some materials used in fishing rods include fiberglass. Fiberglass is even stronger than graphite alone and can create extra sensitivity that is good for crankbaiting.
- What action do you need? Action refers to the stiffness and flexibility of a rod. There’s three different types available to consumers:Extra fast: This style rod will bend very little. Ideal for when you need to get a fish up and away from the cover as soon as possible.
Fast: With this action, you have the perfect combination of power and flexibility.
Moderate: This rod bends plenty in the middle which is great when casting.
The type of action you need will depend solely on where and what you are fishing.
- What type of rod guide? Believe it or not, even the smaller details like rod guide materials are important for success. After all, you don’t want to waste time untangling your rod or trying to fix popouts. For this reason, find a rod with a guide that uses high quality materials such as ceramic or titanium.
- How much power? Power is important when it comes to purchasing a bass fishing rod. Remember that the power is how much the rod can handle in terms of pressure before it bends. There is a wide range of powers available, from ultra light to ultra heavy and so on and so forth. When it comes to bass fishing, however, you should steer clear of ultra light rods. Medium and heavy rods will be your best bet when it comes to successful bass fishing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best size rod for bass fishing?
Most bass fishing rods are between 6 and 8 foot long. The ideal size depends on the type of fishing you do. For flipping and pitching, a longer rod of 7’6” is appropriate. For techniques like drop shot and skipping docks, a shorter rod around 6” is more suitable.
What action rod for bass fishing?
Generally, fast action rods are best suited for bass fishing. When working with topwater fishing baits, you might want to choose moderate to moderate fast action.
What type of fishing rods to use for bass?
You can use both baitcasting and spinning rods for fishing bass. Spinning rods are generally preferred by newcomers to the fishing world. Baitcast rods can usually handle more weight and heavier line. If you are fishing for large fish like striped bass, a baitcaster may be more appropriate.
What's the difference between a casting rod and a spinning rod?
The main difference lies in the reel and its position. Spinning rods are easier to operate for amateurs. They tangle less and it is easy to reel in the fish. Experts often prefer casting rods; with advanced skill, you can achieve great distances.
How many rods do I need for bass fishing?
Even if you are a beginner, it is good to have two or three rods at your disposal. That allows you to switch up presentation, for example using a plastic and a reaction bait. However, you will be fine if you get one versatile rod to begin with.
What is the lightest bass fishing rod?
The lightest rods are usually made from graphite or a combination material. A good example for a lightweight rod that is still powerful is the Cadence CR7B Baitcasting Rod.
What is the best lure for bass fishing?
Lures are super important when it comes to any type of fishing, but if you want specific lures for bass you should consider these top 5 lures that they love: jig, crankbait, jerkbait, finesse worm, or craw.
Is braided line good for bass fishing?
Braided lines work just fine, although they may be more visible to the bass, and therefore you end up catching less. It is recommended to use other types of line, like monofilament or fluorocarbon, as they are less visible to bass.
What type of rod is best for beginners?
This is hard to say and everyone may give you a different opinion, but working with a lightweight spinning rod is probably the easiest way to get your foot in the door when it comes to bass fishing.
What is the best length rod for bass fishing?
This is undoubtedly an important question when it comes to buying a bass baitcasting rod. If you took a look at some of the series of best bass fishing rods up above, you would notice there’s a wide variety of lengths to choose from. When it comes to bass fishing, though, you should always stick with a length of 7 to 8 feet, the best option being 7.5, if available. This is because the 7.5 foot rod is easy to pitch and flip, which means more success in catching bass.
When it comes to bass fishing, you need to make the right choice when it comes to your rod. Make sure you consider all of the different factors when choosing a line. The right line for you will depend on the style of fishing you prefer, and what type of game you’re seeking. Remember that a typical good choice for a bass baitcasting rod will be around 7 to 8 feet long, and should have medium to heavy power. The rest of your decision will depend solely on your skill level, what material you’re seeking, your price range, and the style of rod you prefer.